Counterfeit Resurrection: The Craze of the Undead

We have a growing fad in our society that seems to be innocuous enough.

The Apocalypse is coming! Be prepared to ward off bites from infected victims, or you might just become one yourself!”

Undead terrors, taking over humanity.

Zombies.

Psh. Zombies aren’t real. They’re just imaginary monsters that have been invented for our enjoyment. They’re harmless.”

Wrong, wrong, and dead wrong.

zom·bie

1. The body of a dead person given the semblance of life, but mute and will-less, by a supernatural force, usually for some evil purpose.
  2. The supernatural force itself.
  3. a) A person whose behavior or responses are wooden, listless, or seemingly rote; automaton.
    b) One who is or appears to be lifeless, apathetic, or completely unresponsive to their surroundings.
  4. A soulless corpse said to be revived by witchcraft.

Witchcraft?”

witch·craft

1. The use of sorcery or magic.
  2. Communication with the devil.

Do the scriptures say anything about this “communication with the devil”?

In Galations chapter 5, verses 19 to 21, the Apostle Paul lays out the works of the flesh – in contrast to the “fruit of the Spirit” (verses 22-23):

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these;Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

My question is this: why is it deemed acceptable to participate in such activity related to the obviously-wicked creations of man, or to even allow such a concept to hold a place in our minds? Friends, we are seeking to serve God, and God alone, are we not?

Here, in Matthew 6, the Savior clearly states that a person can serve only one master at a time, whether He be God, or whether he be the Father of Lies:

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

To be perfectly straight, zombies are not acceptable to the Lord. They are of that crafty Master of Counterfeit and Deceit himself. They are just one of the countless Anti-Christs that we have in our society today.

Honestly, I do believe that such beings exist, in more ways than one; but that makes them no less twisted, sick, and evil.

Whether we like it or not, men, and women, on this Earth have the power of Satan, and they do what he wills them to do. Magic, sorcery, witchcraft it is not merely fantasy. It is real, and it is not harmless. I will not go into that area further, but I will tell you that I believe that such “undead” creatures are perfectly plausible, and are highly terrifying. Enough said there.

As for definition number two – “wooden, listless, apathetic” creatures – we most certainly see these “zombies” in our society. Addiction, apathy (obviously), ignorance, are all symptoms of this zombie-like behavior that has been defined. This is not an amusing thing in the least. What good are lifeless, brainless people to the Gospel of Christ? Of course, God our Father welcomes all of His children, and He loves every one of us, but what can people like that contribute to His Work? Apathy is what the devil desires of us. He wants us to forget our birthright, our missions and callings, our ultimate goal of exaltation! Yet, we laugh, and claim that we are “just having fun”, and that it “isn’t hurting us”. I have heard, and I have seen it. In my mind, those who allow themselves to take part in this seemingly-harmless games, movies, books, memes, costumes, you name it . . . are showing Satan that they are in actuality, the very creatures that they are poking fun at and play-acting as! They are giving into his wishes, and before they even understand what they are doing, they are caught in his snare.

Do I exaggerate?

Ultimately, I believe that this entire zombie mindset is Lucifer’s way of twisting the precious and holy truth of the Resurrection. The Power of the Almighty God will being His children back to life one glorious day, even those who have not kept His statutes in this life. Christ overcame death so that we might all live again. And yet, that great Deceiver thinks that he has the power as well, to restore the breath to those who have departed this world. He is mocking God, and in tolerating his little game of “fun”, and supposed innocence, I submit that we are aiding him in that act.

There is a Plan, set forth for us by our Divine Creator. We are to live on this Earth, declare His Gospel, be sealed to our beloved families, keep the Commandments of Him Who sent us here, and return to live with Him as sacred unions in Light and Peace, for eternity. He wishes all that is wondrous and great upon us, His children. He gives Light and Truth for us to learn and to draw closer to Him. Friends, let us not yield to His Adversary. Seek for the goodness and Glory of God. Serve Him only. I plead with you. Let us wake up to his tricks and deceit. The LORD desires to have us – you – in His arms, always.

I sincerely hope that you will view this as the writing of a loving and concerned sister, and friend. I highly suggest this post as well, written by the lovely Heather. She gives a brilliant discourse regarding violence in media, and its complete lack of innocence.

As a sort of disclaimer, this is not a sweeping judgment on which I know nothing about. Forgive me if I offend, as I have tried to word this as kindly and as non-reproachfully as I can. However, I must say what is on my mind, and I felt inspired to share this. I wish for anyone who reads this to understand that darkness is real, real and looming. But there is one Power that overcomes all evil – the Power of God.

And I will cut off witchcrafts out of thine hand; and thou shalt have no more soothsayers. . . . (Micah 5:12)

He will conquer. Let us come out victorious with Him.

About Shaylee Ann

Shaylee is a devout Latter-day Saint, and a strong believer in the cause of Zion. She is a homeschool graduate, currently living at home with her parents, and eight younger siblings. She is known to spontaneously swear off of pants and high heels, and is permanently abstaining from wearing makeup. Reading birth books, designing websites for friends, working her sales rep job, and blogging her heart out (mother-at-heart.com) are her hobbies. The Gospel, marriage, and children are her passions. Nineteen, unmarried, and terribly opinionated (in a good way); she is a wife-in-training, and a mother at heart.

This entry was posted in Articles. Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Counterfeit Resurrection: The Craze of the Undead

1. scott stover says:

So, what about Halloween, Shaylee Ann? Seems like the same thing to me. As a matter of fact, your assertion (a true one) that we can only serve one God would lead us ultimately to eschew all pop-culture, sports….anything that does not advance the cause of Zion. May I recommend a book – Hugh Nibley, Approaching Zion – if you haven’t already read it. It is actually available chapter by chapter on the Neal Maxwell Institute website. Wish I saw things as clearly as you do when I was your age. But then, your path is not mine.

• Shaylee Ann says:

Imagine what I say in this post, except in more detail, for my answer regarding Halloween. ;) I do not see it as harmless or fun, but that does not mean that others cannot get their own “goodness” out of it. It is a very . . . gray . . . issue.

Thank you for that recommendation! I have Approaching Zion, but I have not yet read it. I will get on that as soon as I can.

Thank you for your comment, Scott. :)

2. scott stover says:

Oh, yeah – no need to qualify what you write by saying “I hope you receive this…..” Just say it! It’s good if it comes from a righteous heart.

3. Russell Collins says:

So I guess you are not a fan of the series “The Walking Dead?”

• Erik says:

@Shaylee, witchcraft is like the tooth fairy; it does not exist. People will do foolish things THINKING things like it are real, but they are deluding themselves with pure fantasy. Saying “The devil made me do it” absolves man of his responsibility.

• Shaylee Ann says:

Erik, I find your comment very . . . intriguing, to say the least. :)

I am wondering, did you read the entire article? At the very end, I quoted the Lord stating quite clearly in the Old Testament that He will “cut off witchcraft”. He makes that same statement in The Book of Mormon. Tell me, if witchcraft is “fantasy”, as you have mentioned, why would the Almighty God – who is all-knowing – say that kind of thing in a book of Scripture that is for our day? I am very curious, what makes you say that witchcraft does not exist?

If you are not LDS, I apologize. I use the same argument though, regarding the Bible verse quoted.

I look forward to your reply.

4. G. Michael Craig says:

I have seen literally hundreds of thousands of “wooden, listless’ apathetic” and might I add brain dead zombies in my lifetime. They form into long lines every few years and enter voting booths and vote for either a Democrat or a Republican, somehow apparently programmed to assume that if this candidate wins, something significant will change for the better in America. I feel so sorry for these poor, pathetic, deluded, creatures. I can’t help but wonder what substance occupies the cranial cavity where their brain once was, you know, to keep it from collapsing, and not alert anyone to the fact that they have apparently lost the ability to think. They truly frighten me.

• Shaylee Ann says:

I was tempted to laugh at the complete truth, but it is not a laughing matter. It is seriously tragic, and entirely frightening. A good friend mentioned to me just a bit ago that this apathy is fulfillment of prophecy. Oh, how I wish that a prophecy of peoples’ ignorance would not be fulfilled. . . .

Thank you for your comment, G. Michael. :)

• Shaylee Ann says:

I found this just barely, G. It is a bit corny, but I thought of you when I watched it – as in, the fact that you are not a zombie. Thought you might be interested. :)

5. G. Michael Craig says:

A little corny, but to the point. The secret combination running our government won’t have to program the computerized voting machines any more than they normally do in order to have the Manchurian Candidate serve them for 4 more years because he will automatically get nearly 100% of the black and latino vote, nearly 100% of the 47 million on food stamps, and nearly 100% of registered democrats and other liberals/socialists. That doesn’t leave much for Romney, especially when you factor in the millions of totally fed up conservative Americans who will be voting for Gary Johnson. I predict that these next 4 years will see the cementing of the American police state, the total financial collapse of our nation, and regional wars breaking out. Prophecy fulfilled.

• Shaylee Ann says:

That essentially lays it all out. Even with most LDS people voting for Romney, unless the Establishment want Romney to be the next President, we will have Obama as Supreme Ruler. It’s scary, yet thrilling at the same. I am excited for Christ to reign on Earth again. :)

6. Erik says:

” I am excited for Christ to reign on Earth again. :)”

True, but take political action as though he never will.

• Shaylee Ann says:

Erik, I truly wonder if you are criticizing everything I say simply because I am new here. :)

• Erik says:

It’s not criticism, since that is a negative/subjective connotation. I do not discriminate between newbies, oldies, or whatsits. I am just making objective judgments based on some things you have said. Also, I never joke about politics, at least not on internet forums. BTW, I am not posting to offend you nor to make you irate. :) I believe in civil discourse.

• Shaylee Ann says:

Reading this, yet again, I do not understand how society can glorify zombies and their inhumane conduct. I also do not understand how anyone can say that “zombies are not actually real”. I believe that we will see living truth in the not-very-distant future. The fun, harmless, cute, or horrifyingly-amusing zombie will then be real, terrifying, and revolting. How cunning the devil is, in placing half-truths into our minds.

Thank you for sharing that, Russell. I would love for you to share you thoughts as well. If you would like, you can email me privately (shaylee.motheratheart@gmail.com).

• Russell Collins says:

Does this mean we are getting married?

• Shaylee Ann says:

Um? Is that your desire? You will first need to fill out a 75 question paper, talk to my parents, Bishop, Stake President, mentor, and best friend. If you get that far, we can consider a potential marriage. ;)

Sarcasm aside, why did you ask that question?

7. Erik says:

Question; ” I am very curious, what makes you say that witchcraft does not exist?”

Answer; I have yet to see evidence of voodoo, satanic possessions, or other “dark arts”.

Question; Tell me, if witchcraft is “fantasy”, as you have mentioned, why would the Almighty God – who is all-knowing – say that kind of thing in a book of Scripture that is for our day?”

Answer; What book of scripture do you refer to?

• Shaylee Ann says:

I am grateful for that, for you. Unfortunately, I have been made quite aware of the power that Satan has given to men and women on Earth. It is a very real and terrifying power.

The Book of Mormon, as I mentioned before.

8. Erik says:

Is it Satan, or is it individuals whose value system and choices in life are anathema to a virtuous sense of life? What is Satan? Why is he?

• Shaylee Ann says:

It is individuals who choice to yield to his enticements. Satan is the power behind evil. Evil is the opposite of righteousness. Righteousness is the direct result of following God. Satan is because he chose darkness rather than light. There had to opposition in every thing, and he made the choice be that opposition, through his dissent. Because of this, there is an opposite for evil for every good. The Lord gives us the Power of the Priesthood. Lucifer gives men the power of priestcraft.

9. Erik says:

So, does evil originate in Satan? In other words is it apart from him or is it him?

He was at one time a high being loved by our Heavenly father. So where did the evil originate?

• Shaylee Ann says:

Satan is the Tempter. He places evil in the hearts of men, but it is our choice to accept and act upon his temptations. I believe that it is him. He is the opposition. I do not know everything, and the subject of the origin of evil is not something that the Lord has given us every knowledge of, but I would say that evil began when Satan dissented, with one third of the hosts of Heaven, he because evil – evil originated from his choice.

• Erik says:

“Satan is the Tempter.”
        —Why? What is the point of his tempting? What does he gain?

“He places evil in the hearts of men, but it is our choice to accept and act upon his temptations.”
        —How does he place evil in the hearts of men? What do you define as evil? So, what you are saying is that we have no choice in totally avoiding Satan’s temptations, it’s only a matter of if we choose to act on them or not? So we are possessed?

“I believe that it is him. He is the opposition.”
        —Opposition to what?

• Erik says:

“I do not know everything, and the subject of the origin of evil is not something that the Lord has given us every knowledge of, but I would say that evil began when Satan dissented, with one third of the hosts of Heaven, he because evil – evil originated from his choice.”
        —If you don’t know everything isn’t it wise to withold judgement, esp on matters as weighty as evil, etc? How does a high ranking loved spiritual child of our heavenly father go from being celestial to outer darkness evil? Also, WHY was his choice evil?

I am not trying to be a pest, but wisdom requires that people exercise reason in order to fully understand WHY?

• “How does a high ranking loved spiritual child of our heavenly father go from being celestial to outer darkness evil? Also, WHY was his choice evil?”
          Erik,
          Your written words infer that you seek to challenge rather than actually desiring to know. The brief answers are:
          — God gives all his creations free-agency.
          — The universe functions in harmony because all elements honor Him, thus willfully obey Him; God’s power is his honor.
          — Just as we observe cunningly ambitious individuals in this world, such undoubtedly exist throughout the universe.
          — Lucifer decided he could “do it better” than God almighty. He rebelled, sought to implement his plan; still does. This is the origin of “evil”.

I just published a book about these matters. Click on my name to view it.

• Erik says:

I understand what you are saying, but you still haven’t answered the question.

• You asked a lot of questions in an in-your-face manner. Your curt response feels demanding, as if I’m able to read your mind as to which of your many questions I have not adequately answered. The generic answer is this: That which is manipulated to work in Satan’s favor is contributing to “evil”, whether or not the persons manipulated intended to do so. Shaylee’s article is aptly warning us to use discernment in these matters, to avoid being spiritually manipulated or desensitized about these things. Questions as to why why why are much deeper and answered elsewhere, many of which I address in my book. It’s not pertinent nor fair to demand such answers here. If you have a contrarian viewpoint, make your point and cease accusing others of lack of reasoning faculties.

10. Shaylee Ann says:

Are you asking this question for my opinion, or because you honestly do not know the answer? :)

11. Erik says:

I want your opinion on the matter.

12. Thank you for this article Shaylee Ann! It’s about time someone came out and expressed this as straight-up as you did.

Over the past 18 months, as I delved deep in research for my book, I became increasingly alarmed at the strong current of “undead”, “vampire” and “witchcraft” trends — and a lot of it in innocuous fashion — H. Potter and wannabe witchcraft series, zombies, even Twilight with the vampire romance… if it wasn’t written by a Mormon housewife, would so many LDS truly defend that series as fervently as they do??

The deeper I looked, the more disturbing the answers were in regards to all these modern trends.

THANK YOU for being so firm and outspoken about it!

13. Patrick says:

As insightful about our current state as before. The world is delving far too much in dark matters, such as witchcraft and the undead, making light of it to a dangerous extent. We are so desensitized and unaware of how much violence, profanities, and evil we are really witnessing and accepting!

14. Forrest says:

I’m late as usual. But here goes anyway.
    Shaylee Ann, your article was spot on. As the Second Coming draws ever nearer Satan sees his time growing ever shorter. His church grows ever more brazen. As the gospel spreads worldwide, Satan spreads his doctrine even wider. Just match the growth of evil with the growth of good.

Erik, have you read the Book of Mormon?

D. Christian, clicked on your name. Web page a bit confusing. Chapter 1 available now. Later chapters yet to come? Or book available now. PDF copy cost is ???

• Thanks, Forrest. The PDF of the entire book is downloadable free-of-charge from the Purchase page.

So far, only up to Part 1 of the book is readable directly on the site, along with the corresponding supporting material.

The site went live less than two weeks ago… takes time to format 534 pages of word-processor text into organized and linked html. Additional sections of the book will be added as they are completed.

I’m selling physical copies of the book at cost of production — no royalties or profit — with an option to include a donation.

• Shaylee Ann says:

Thank you for your comment, Forrest. “Just match the growth of evil with the growth of good.” Yes, I agree. That is the challenge, to match evil with true goodness.

15. Michael says:

Hi Shaylee Ann,
    Thank you so much for your inspired article. Thanks for exposing the nature of evil which more than ever is so predominant in our days. As you said in as much we hold the Priesthood of the Lord most high God, Lucifer also has his priesthood the priest craft. His army is strong and real.
    One third of the hosts followed him and how many of the living follow him today, two third? It appears to be more than one third but who am I to be sure?