A Lion Among Sheep and There Would be None to Deliver

Mormon Chronicle EXCLUSIVE! Never before available personal writings of Elder H. Verlan Andersen.

The prophecies in the Book of Mormon regarding us Gentiles are most sobering, even frightening (Editors note: President Boyd K. Packer says we are the Gentiles the Book of Mormon is talking about here, “and the term gentile in that place in the Book of Mormon refers to us in our generation”).

In 3 Ne. 16:20 and 21 He states repeatedly that the remnant of the House of Israel, those to whom He was speaking, would go through among us as a Lion among a flock of sheep and there would be none to deliver.

Then Mormon, after recounting the horrible events attending the destruction of his own people by the Lamanites, gives us a similar warning in almost the same words as those of the Savior. (See Mormon 5:24)

Isaiah makes mention of the great blessings which will come to the House of Israel, the remnant, when they are restored to the lands of their inheritance. Christ dwells on this theme at great length as He speaks to the Nephites (and Lamanites) about the last days. But the vital message contained in the three chapters 16, 20, and 21 is to the Gentiles. It is a warning to us to repent and to keep the covenant or we will be swept off. However as many of us as do repent will be numbered with the seed of Lehi and will receive this chosen land as an eternal home.

Nephi adds his warning to us Gentiles. After quoting extensively from Isaiah, he proceeds to explain Isaiah’s prophecies. He states that all of the Gentile nations shall be drunken with iniquity and all manner of abominations. (2 Ne. 27:1, 2) He says even the humble followers of Christ will be misled by the precepts of men. (2 Ne. 28:14) But then he says that we need not suppose that all of the Gentiles are destroyed. As many as will repent are the covenant people. (2 Ne. 30:1, 2)

Mormon, after recounting the destruction of his own people by the Lamanites, warns us Gentiles that they will destroy us also unless we repent. (Mormon 5:19-22)

Moroni adds his warning but does so regarding the secret combinations, which is a much more explicit warning because it brings into focus our great national crime: the violation of the covenant by the corruption of our laws. We have adopted Satan’s laws and system of government instead. And so we have these prophets warning us Gentiles of our coming tragedy:

1. Christ; 3 Ne. 16:20, 21
  2. Mormon; Moroni 5:19-22
  3. Nephi; 2 Ne. 30:1, 2
  4. Jacob; 2 Ne. 10:18, 19
  5. Moroni; Ether 2 and Ether 8 esp.

(Personal Notes, “The Failure of the Gentiles to Obey the Covenant of the Gospel,” 10/16/1981)

About H. Verlan Andersen

Elder H. Verlan Andersen (1914 – 1992) was a Seventy in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He authored the following books: The Great and Abominable Church of the Devil, Many are Called but Few are Chosen, Moral Basis of a Free Society, The Proper and Improper Role of Government, and The Book of Mormon and the Constitution.

This entry was posted in Articles, Classics and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to A Lion Among Sheep and There Would be None to Deliver

1. Scott Stover says:

I’m afraid we are all “misled by the precepts of men” to some extent. We have all “adopted Satan’s law and system of government”….we are living in the middle of it. So what does it mean to have repented so we may be included among “the covenant people”? I think the temple is the ensign by which we may know, and the covenants made in the temple are the covenants of the covenant people. Of course, we must keep those covenants, which includes the law of consecration. I recommend Hugh Nibley’s collection, “Approaching Zion” to help each of us determine where we stand before the Lord concerning that all-inclusive covenant.

2. Kim Kincher says:

Hi Ezra,

I have a question about your statement: “The Lord God of Israel Himself spoke to us about our fate if we failed to repent and come unto Him and understand the true points of His gospel.” Can you clarify your definition of “the true points of His gospel”?
    Kim

• Spartus says:

Elder Andersen is implicitly referencing 3 Ne. 21:6:

“For thus it behooveth the Father that it should come forth from the Gentiles, that he may show forth his power unto the Gentiles, for this cause that the Gentiles, if they will not harden their hearts, that they may repent and come unto me and be baptized in my name and know of the true points of my doctrine, that they may be numbered among my people, O house of Israel;”

Pondering that verse may help answer your question.

See also D&C 10:62: http://lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/10.62?lang=eng#61

3. James says:

So I am thinking it will take another 30-40 years though before the Remnant will have spread enough in the land to be "16 Then shall ye, who are a remnant of the house of Jacob, go forth among them; and ye shall be in the midst of them who shall be many; and ye shall be among them as a lion among the beasts of the forest, and as a young lion among the flocks of sheep, who, if he goeth through both treadeth down and teareth in pieces, and none can deliver.". This sounds like a race war…. How bad would things need to get for that to happen? That doesnt sound like the remnant will be living the gospel yet either. Perhaps later?

• Eric says:

I believe that this promise (as a lion) will first be fulfilled by Deseret when it stands up and puts on its mantle (which will be governed by a constitutional government upheld by the priesthood) and not (initially at least) the city of Zion. Not a race war but a war to establish and protect the freedom of it’s way of life and principles.
      Just my thinking.

• Jeremy Parker says:

Recent estimates are that if comprehensive immigration reform occurs the way many want it to, 1/3 of all Adult Males in Mexico would come here. Open our borders to those who want to come and we will be flooded very quickly.

Often prophecies are fulfilled by an unrighteous branch preceding a righteous branch. Our history as a nation affirms this.

There has been much speculation among prophecy regarding this event or these events. I do not however discount an unrighteous fulfillment preceding the righteous fulfillment of these things.

4. Eric says:

Thanks for another timely post.
    I feel compelled to state that I am not a gentile. Although we live in a gentile nation and have a gentile culture with what has become increasingly obvious, a gentile government, I personally hold my adoption as an member of the house of Israel as a precious possession. Perhaps it seems like semantics but there it is.
    Thanks again for all you do.

• Jeremy Parker says:

It is only semantics if our values and priorities are the same as the gentiles we live among and not if they are not. If our values are denominated in dollars and that’s how we value things like our time and talents then yes, we are probably gentiles.

5. G. Michael Craig says:

I consider the books by H. Verlan Andersen to be the MOST VALUABLE books in my library, especially “Many Are Called But Few Are Chosen”. I have learned more about “the true points of His Gospel” by reading them and then patterning my life after those points than from ANY other source, and I have been the target for more persecution from my fellow LDS as a result, than for all other reasons combined. Most LDS today will not tolerate the warnings to us gentiles that are found in the BOM. I was placed on probation by my branch and stake presidents for reading from Ether 8 while bearing my testimony. My stake president told me that such warnings are “negative pessimisms”, and are not appropriate for ANY Church meeting. 2nd Nephi 28:14 is what we are living now. Very sad.

• Andrew T. says:

Michael. I’d doubt your story, except that I had a similar experience. I was released from my calling and threatened with court action for referencing D&C 98:16 and suggesting that we weren’t doing what we should.

• Scott Stover says:

To paraphrase a friend of mine; we must continue to strive for the celestial law, even if those around us are unprepared. However, we must continue to love all, no matter where they are in their eternal progression.

6. Linda says:

So WHO exactly is the lion? Most people I know think it is the influx of illegals here from Mexico. Are they the remnant of Jacob?

• James says:

I think it is all the native americans both north, central and south american which are numerous now like they were during the time of the nephites fall. Back then they were called the lamanites. And since they actually multiply and replenish the earth as oppssed to our gentile culture of birth control and abortion it is onl a matter of time before they overtake the whole of the land as was promised to Lehi. But just as the lamanites whiped out the nephites because they were more wicked than they, i think the same thing will happen as it did before. This is no reason to fear them but instead to fear the Lord. He has promised that those who uphold his word and keep their covenants will be counted among the lions or “passed over” as it were.

• Paul Wheeler says:

Points to consider:
      Janet Napolitano stated that she was ‘afraid’ of an invasion from the south (as a reason for martial law?). We know, now, that the government provided the drug cartels with weapons & training as part of “fast & furious.” Perhaps Jane and her gang have created a private & very morally corrupt army for the purpose of invading this country. With that army in place, she can say openly, what some U.S. citizens have been thinking, as a way of implanting fear in this country.

Also, some young sheeple south of the border think we ‘stole’ California, Arizona, & Texas from them. Hence, Jane has unwittingly provided a way for the Lions to come and go through the flock of U.S. sheep (sheeple). Maybe getting to know hispanic members may be a good idea?

• Kate Fletcher Brierley says:

I agree, it seems that the Lord always punishes his people when they become wicked by another race..all the scriptures are full of it……England will be invaded and humbled (already happening) and so will the USA, if for no other reasons that the millions of abortions of babies that are happening….

7. Michael says:

Ezra,
    Third paragraph from the top opens with “In 3 Ne. 16:20 and 21 He states repeatedly…”

Unfortunately, there is no 3 Ne. 16:21, the quote that is in 20 doesn’t apply here. Need clarification and an edit.