The Merciful Reelection of Barack Obama

The Merciful Reelection of Barack ObamaSo … Did you see the news? We lucked out and got four more years of Barack Obama. Yep, there I said it. This might be a real blessing for America. Why would I make such a ridiculous statement? In a nutshell I think it demonstrates that God chastens those He loves. (Rev 3:19) Yes. The chastening is intensifying. Feel free to take this article as the ramblings of a wretched man; but one who has experienced a great awakening nonetheless.

One of the most significant defects of the human condition is that we consistently put the precepts of men and our own understanding before the precepts of God. We tend to judge God by the body of knowledge we have learned in the world. In fact even the humble follower of Christ often falls to these deceptions.

They wear stiff necks and high heads; yea, and because of pride, and wickedness, and abominations, and whoredoms, they have all gone astray save it be a few, who are the humble followers of Christ; nevertheless, they are led, that in many instances they do err because they are taught by the precepts of men. O the wise, and the learned, and the rich, that are puffed up in the pride of their hearts, and all those who preach false doctrines, and all those who commit whoredoms, and pervert the right way of the Lord, wo, wo, wo be unto them, saith the Lord God Almighty, for they shall be thrust down to hell! (2 Nephi 28:14–15)

Had Mitt Romney won the election the feeling would have been euphoric among millions of Christian conservatives, and particularly among Latter Day Saints. It would have been as if BYU had beaten Utah in the football “holy war,” or visa-versa depending upon your color preference. (Insert your favorite sports rivalry.) “Heaven smiles upon us! Our team won!” we would have thought. “All may not be well in Zion today, but it is back on the right track!” Unfortunately, had Mitt been elected, it would all be wishful thinking. It would be vain euphoria. The so-called conservatives would be feeling validated and much less alarmed.

The fact is that we are past the event horizon, and as a society perhaps we passed it many decades ago. The event horizon is an imaginary boundary surrounding a black hole.  It is the point where the gravity of the black hole is so immense that nothing, not even light, can escape its pull. It is the point of no return. One notable recent milestone that should alert us to this fact was in September 2001 and was evidenced by our reaction to it. Since then it has become clear that our institutions are openly corrupted. As a nation our debts are mathematically un-repayable. We have invaded many nations that posed no imminent threat. We have blood on our hands. (Please read Can God Protect us from Nukes for more insight on the wars.) We are covetous, boastful, blasphemous, disobedient to parents, etc. etc. etc. We love pleasure more than God. (2 Tim 3:1-7) As a society in general these attributes are self evident.

When we put the precepts of men above those of God, we change his definitions to reconcile with ours. For example, let us discuss prosperity. Alma tells his son Helaman that “if ye will keep [God’s] commandments ye shall prosper in the land—but if ye keep not his commandments ye shall be cut off from his presence.” When we attain the praise of men or the riches of men we often believe it to be a gift of God. However God asks us to seek first His kingdom. “Seek not for riches but for wisdom, and behold, the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto you, and then shall you be made rich. Behold, he that hath eternal life is rich. (D&C 6:7) The definition of prosperity involves something more than the riches of the world.

When a people who once had light arrive at the point where we are today, they don’t remain stagnant and decadent. They proceed through the cycle that the Lord uses to help them repent. Consider the state of the Nephites just after the death and resurrection of Christ. They had experienced great destruction.

And many great destructions have I caused to come upon this land, and upon this people, because of their wickedness and their abominations. O all ye that are spared because ye were more righteous than they, will ye not now return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may heal you? Yea, verily I say unto you, if ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me. Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God… (3 Nephi 9:12–15)

He spoke these words perhaps months prior to visiting the Nephites in Bountiful in great glory. The reason for this delay was that those who were spared needed time to repent. We cannot be in His presence if we are unwilling to turn away from our sins and turn back to Him. He chastens those He loves.

If you haven’t already, please begin to see the larger picture. Perhaps the fact that Mitt didn’t miraculously cruise to victory is evidence that God still loves us. He will chasten us. Had Mitt won perhaps we would blindly and euphorically embrace the evil from which God desires we flee. With Barack Obama still in charge, I hope that many many more will awaken to our awful situation. (Ether 8:23-26) Perhaps the outcome of the election is evidence of God’s great mercy. As a society and as individuals, now is the time that we should repent and realize that we are far a field from the God who loves us. Babylon the great is falling and great is the fall thereof. We are about to experience the consequences of our wickedness. It has been a long time in coming. “For the kingdom of the devil must shake, and they which belong to it must needs be stirred up unto repentance, or the devil will grasp them with his everlasting chains, and they be stirred up to anger, and perish;” (2 Nephi 28:19)

Consider how this passage in Revelation chapter three relates directly to us today.

I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches. (Rev 3:15–22)

I do not profess to know the mind of the Lord on this matter but it appears to me that even in this dark time, His hand is stretched out still. He is shaking us and will shake us so that we might repent and turn to Him. Recognize the sword of destruction that hangs over us. (Ether 8:23-26) Consider father Lehi’s comments after he saw the impending destruction in vision.

And he read, saying: Wo, wo, unto Jerusalem, for I have seen thine abominations! Yea, and many things did my father read concerning Jerusalem—that it should be destroyed, and the inhabitants thereof; many should perish by the sword, and many should be carried away captive into Babylon. And it came to pass that when my father had read and seen many great and marvelous things, he did exclaim many things unto the Lord; such as: Great and marvelous are thy works, O Lord God Almighty! Thy throne is high in the heavens, and thy power, and goodness, and mercy are over all the inhabitants of the earth; and, because thou art merciful, thou wilt not suffer those who come unto thee that they shall perish! And after this manner was the language of my father in the praising of his God; for his soul did rejoice, and his whole heart was filled, because of the things which he had seen, yea, which the Lord had shown unto him. (1 Nephi 1:13–15)

Rejoice and awake and arise. (Moroni 10:30-34) Wash the darkness from your eyes. The time is short. Wickedness never was happiness. (Alma 41:10)

About Dan Campbell

Dan Campbell is a "juris naturalist" in Highland, Utah. He has 4 goats and one cat. His other writings can be found on chronicleofnations.com
This entry was posted in Articles, Mormonism in the News. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The Merciful Reelection of Barack Obama

1. Matt H says:

My conversations with those that seem to understand ‘our awful situation’ have given me hope in recent days. Many are disgusted and disturbed that the status quo has been given another four years in Barack Obama.

I do agree with you Dan that if Mitt had been elected some people may have returned more deeply to their sleep. This isn’t to say that many of those have woken up but they are on their way I believe.

Tender are the mercies of the Lord.

• Ed Snodgrass says:

At first when Obama was elected I was extremly depressed. But then I realized that the second coming has just been expedited. If Romney had won the second coming might have been delayed. Now, however, I realize no elecction results of a little country like the US (who currently enjoys world dominence) will change what is already decided by God. How arragant and vain are we. How fast we forget God and what he said. Jesus Christ himself said he had no controll over it and he created the world for crying out loud!! By the way aren’t the Israelites the chosen people? Isn’t it true that if Christ had come to any other people then in the world…..none would have crucified him or put him to death in any way? They have paid their price. We will too if we don’t change.

2. G. Michael Craig says:

All of what you say here is certainly thought provoking, but it is based upon a false assumption, namely that we had a free and fair election. Actually, our computerized voting machines were programmed to guarantee an Obama victory, but not because the secret combination had anything to fear from Romney. They choose and equally finance both campaigns in order to provide for the illusion of a healthy political climate. Romney would have done NOTHING to eliminate the primary causes of all of America’s major problems: The private European credit monopoly known as the Federal Reserve Bank issuing and controlling our fiat, debt-based currency, our phony so-called war on terror, and our utter enslavement to the satanic Israeli’s. Nothing would have changed under Romney.

• Matt H says:

You are correct. Nothing would have changed under Romney. He would have pursued the agenda given to him by those who surrounded him, namely members of the CFR and Trilateral Commission. In my view, he would have pursued his agenda, which is taking us towards complety tyranny, a tad slower-maybe 85-90% speed- than Obama however. That is the only difference, the speed of the outcome.

I don’t know what Romney’s personal life was like but he does indeed seem like a good person. He definitely wasn’t an insider but like most people in the LDS church they are way too focused on acceptance and popularity rather than the principles of agency, freedom and liberty.

• Samantha says:

I feel that your grouping together of members of the LDS church is very close-minded. I feel that when a group of people works together to become closer to God and achieve their goals for this life, it may well be, for some members, the opinions of their fellow members that keeps them on the right track. I’m not saying that that should be the reason, I personally feel that it should be between one’s self and God, but sometimes that is the reality of the situation. I also feel that popularity is definitely not one of the main focuses of people in the church. Quite on the contrary, I feel that it is one of the farthest things from members’ minds, because when one stands firm in their beliefs, in any situation, popularity is not a common symptom, or what one desires.

• Samantha says:

I fail to see in what way the Israeli people are satanic. They are for the most part Jewish, a God-fearing people. I’m not saying that they aren’t wrong, but I feel that calling them satanic is not the best way to paint them to prove one’s point in a way that makes one seem educated. And in what way are we enslaved to them? I don’t see how our respect and civil treatment of them makes us enslaved to them. And even if that were true, how is that worse than our enslavement to China? They own about 22% of our national debt, and unless our president starts making more fiscally responsible actions to lower said debt, China will continue to gain a firmer grip on our country.

• sean says:

I think he meant Israel’s Government, not individual’s. We’re enslaved to them because we support everything they do financialy, but I think it was a figure of speech, regarding Neocon’s and such…

• Samantha says:

That definitely clears things up, thanks. I understand what you are saying and agree, more or less, but I also feel that we do what we do because we know that it is in our best interest because one day Israel will be a great ally to have.

3. Ralph Hughes says:

The most flagrant false assumption made by I’m sure most LDS voters is that Romney would have eliminated the primary causes of all of America’s major problems. In his apparent ignorance of the proper role of government and the principles of the US Constitution would cause him to make things worse – just not as fast as Obama will.

4. John D says:

I think Romney may yet be president in 4 years. If not him another LDS man. We are so funny as humans. We say profound things like “history repeats itself.” We came up with this axiom by reading history an accurate history, like the Book of Mormon. But then we don’t believe the axiom. We think the time we live in is so different separate and special that history is not repeating itself.
    But it does and it is. Church established by Peter goes downhill till it gets co opted by the Roman emperor. Church establish by Joseph now denies the non “Christian” doctrines he taught and we think it is the same church?
    Wake up and smell the truth. Who changes the teachings of men or God?

• diligentdave says:

re: “(The) Church establish by Joseph now denies the non “Christian” doctrines he taught and we think it is the same church?”

Not sure what you mean. Can you be a bit more specific?

5. Samantha says:

Wow, that’s intense. And a very interesting take on the not-change that occurred this election. Definitely opens my mind more to blessings in disguise.

6. Dustin says:

I don’t know if Mitt was the answer. I don’t know if he’s the type of guy I’d want to hang around. I just don’t know. I do know he’s a business man. A successful business man. Successful business men are only successful because they never forget to take care of themselves first. Otherwise it would be a gamble. I don’t think Mitt gambles.

I don’t believe Obama is a punishment or a blessing. The same goes for Mitt Romney. They are just politicians. They are just two dudes in the same boat that are describing the water differently so that they can justify which way to paddle.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is the belief that people can change for the better. If you don’t believe that. I dare say you don’t believe in the gospel of jesus christ. Now I’m just blabbing.

7. kelly says:

“Sour Grapes” comes to mind..

8. Troy Enniss says:

I have to agree with you Dan. You could see the euphoria overcoming the church with each passing prospect that Mitt would win. There is a divine process that has to occur for deliverance and redemption to take place. It’s a process that we all naturally want to avoid or should I say the “natural man” wants to avoid. The Lord chastises those whom he loves (D&C 95:1). And it’s within that chastisement that the Lord gets our attention to prepare the way of deliverance, whatever His mode of deliverance might be. It’s the process of preparing us for deliverance that the natural man chooses to avoid because it hits the center of the soul, only the true follower of Christ will be able to detect the situation and humble them self to allow the master to deliver his people.

9. diligentdave says:

I’m a “Johnny come lately” to this several months back event and discussion. Just found it. I appreciate Dan’s “take”. I told a number of people that I was afraid of either candidate winning (not that I had a 3rd horse in the race), though I did/do agree with”some” Ron Paul positions. But not licentiousness disguised as libertarianism (“whatsoever a man did was no crime”) —Book of Mormon – Alma 30:17

Of course, my “take” on the current situation is this. Despite how much good or evil one person can do (one of the “takes” in the Book of Mormon), another “take” in that same holy tome is this— due to the agency of all men (men and wo-men), especially, but not solely, as manifested in representative government, it is what WE EACH & ALL DO (or DON’T do) that counts!

10. diligentdave says:

And our cumulative choices canNOT be necessarily overcome or counter-balanced by what good or bad leaders may or may not do.

However, I would suggest Isaiah 3 (2 Nephi 13) are very apropos to our time in so MANY ways, including the concept of “children” (babes, but NOT the ‘beautiful’ kind, per se) oppressing us. Our princes indeed have, do, and will yet lead us astray. Obama is the prime example. But, hey, “W” did his share, as did Clinton his. (But Obama, as much bad as the 2 did, and those 2 did some good, IMO, is much worse in SO MANY WAYS). Example—

And thus six years had not passed away since the more part of the people had turned from their righteousness, like the dog to his vomit, or like the sow to her wallowing in the mire.

(Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 7:8)

11. diligentdave says:

O ye wicked and ye perverse generation; ye hardened and ye stiffnecked people, how long will ye suppose that the Lord will suffer you? Yea, how long will ye suffer yourselves to be led by foolish and blind guides? Yea, how long will ye choose darkness rather than light?

(Book of Mormon | Helaman 13:29)

12. john says:

The Harbinger, by Jonathan Cahn, a Christian Jew expresses many of these same ideas as he relates Isa. 9:10 and Sept. 11, 2001.