Politics: A Litmus Test for Book of Mormon Believers

The Book of Mormon tells the story of Gadianton robbers infiltrating a system ofCaptain Moroni - Title of Liberty government that began as a free society, yet through secret oaths and the wickedness of the people deteriorated into a system of legalized plunder, and warped justice.

So entrenched was the crutch of government interference, and so extensive was the destruction of the proper role of government as prescribed by Mosiah, Alma and others who were the “Founding Fathers” of the people’s original freedoms, that Helaman (5:3) describes a people which, “…could not be governed by the law nor justice, save it were to their destruction.”

Amulek declared to the people at Ammonihah, “For behold, have I testified against your law? …ye say that I have spoken against your law; but I have not, but I have spoken in favor of your law, to your condemnation.” (Alma 10:26)

The year of Amulek’s profound statement was 82 B.C., and government corruption was in its infancy.  After previously being rejected by the people in that city, Alma was told by an angel to go back and witness again to the people, explaining “For behold, they do study at this time that they may destroy the liberty of thy people, (for thus saith the Lord) which is contrary to the statutes, and judgments, and commandments which he has given unto his people.” (Alma 8:17)

Yet fifty years later, after a surge of Gadianton influence, Helaman describes that:

“…Nephi delivered up the judgment-seat to a man whose name was Cezoram.  For as their laws and their governments were established by the voice of the people, and they who chose evil were more numerous than they who chose good, therefore they were ripening for destruction, for the laws had become corrupted. Yea, and this was not all; they were a stiffnecked people, insomuch that they could not be governed by the law nor justice, save it were to their destruction.” (Helaman 5:1–3)secret combos dvd cover

The reason for the Book of Mormon coming to America in our time is because the book’s history has now repeated.  The prophets Mormon and Moroni saw our day and selected the stories, teachings, and principles that would most apply to us.  This is why Moroni said, “when ye shall see these things come among you that ye shall awake to a sense of your awful situation, because of this secret combination which shall be among you; or wo be unto it, because of the blood of them who have been slain; for they cry from the dust for vengeance upon it, and also upon those who built it up.” (Ether 8:24)

As Latter-Day Saints, do we care about politics?  Are we awake, up and doing?  Or do we not understand what the proper role of government even is?  If we are NOT awake, are we part of those who “build it up?”  Is it too much of a stretch to assume that if we are not involved in restoring the proper role of government then we are part of the problems the  Book of Mormon warned us against, with the “blood of them who have been slain” staining our own souls?

As Latter-Day Saints, are we satisfied, politically, with accepting the lesser of two evils?  If so, reason would suggest that we will be accountable for the lesser part of the bloodshed of our day.  Are you content with this?

In today’s welfare state, America stands for the mentality of getting all the free stuff and assistance you can, and then canning all you get.  It was Shelby Richman in his forward to Bastiat’s “The Law” who said:

A society based on a proper conception of law would be orderly and prosperous.  But unfortunately, some will choose plunder over production if the former requires less effort than the latter.  A grave danger arises when the class of people who make the law (legislation) turns to plunder.  The result, Bastiat writes, is “lawful plunder.”  At first, only the small group of lawmakers practices legal plunder. But that may set in motion a process in which the plundered classes (LDS?), rather than seeking to abolish the perversion of law, instead strive to get in on it.

This describes nearly perfectly the seduction that took place in the Book of Mormon when, “the Nephites did build them (Gadianton robbers/politicians) up and support them, beginning at the more wicked part of them, until they had overspread all the land of the Nephites, and had seduced the more part of the righteous until they had come down to believe in their works and partake of their spoils, and to join with them in their secret murders and combinations.” (Helaman 6:38)

When registered voters walk into their respective voting booths this November, they will be professing their religion in a most profound way.  It has been said that politics is “rubber meets the road Christianity,” and well it is.  As H. Verlan Andersen  has explained numerous times (i.e. his book Great and Abominable Church of the Devil), nowhere else can an average citizen apply their decision to be involved in the taking of life, liberty, and property than through the principles and “code” their affirmed candidates espouse.

The voting booth allows the voter to “join” with a candidate in his struggle to restore the original intent of our Founding Fathers, or allows the voter to “join with them in their secret murders and combinations.”

So the pivotal question before a person signs their name and “joins” with a candidate on the work he or she will perform is, am I being seduced?

It is my conviction that the intent of the 2-party duopoly is to do just that.  The Book of Mormon is a warning to America.  The book resoundingly proclaims to all who will hear, “don’t make these same mistakes!  Don’t be seduced!  Awaken to your awful situation!”

The “freedom of all lands, nations, and countries” are at stake (see Ether 8:25).  Believers in the Book of Mormon shouldn’t accept the con that voting to slow down our destruction is success.  Our mission, woven in the stories and messages of the Book of Mormon, is clear.

“Wherefore, honest men and wise men should be sought for diligently, and good men and wise men ye should observe to uphold; otherwise whatsoever is less than these cometh of evil.” (D&C 98:10)

In the words of Ezra Taft Benson:

“The only questions, before the final victory, are, first, ‘What stand will each of us take in this struggle?’ and second, ‘How much tragedy can be avoided by doing something now?… To the patriots I say this: Take that long eternal look.  Stand up for freedom, no matter what the cost.”

About Kelly Gneiting

Kelly Gneiting is the National Chairman of the Independent American Party, and the Author of The Book of Mormon's Art of War
This entry was posted in Articles and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Politics: A Litmus Test for Book of Mormon Believers

1. Anthony E. Larson says:

Well written article, Kelly. Sadly, they will ignore you as they ignored me when I published the same warning nearly 30 years ago in my “Parallel Histories: The Nephites and the Americans.” I printed 3,000 copies and put them in all LDS bookstores, including Deseret Book. It took over 20 years to sell them all. That’s how little interest there is among Latter-day Saints in heeding the clarion warning in the message of the Book of Mormon. President Benson made it a hallmark of his career. Look how little attention they paid to him. There are a few who pay attention, but they are a tiny, tiny minority.

• Thanks Anthony. I guess many are called, but few are chosen.

• Brother Larson, is your book still available anywhere? Have you posted it online so people can read it today, or would you be willing to? It sounds like an excellent read.

• Thanks for your query, Bro. Kearney. You may be able to find the book on Amazon or another used book cite. I know many have. If interest ever does increase, I’ll probably offer it as a prerecorded online course, along with the others (http://www.mormonprophecy.com/?page_id=199) rather than re-publishing. I have several monographs on the subject posted on my blog, if you care to visit those. (http://mormonprophecy.blogspot.com/2008/09/nephite-history-harbinger-for-our-time.html). But as of now, I have no plans to revisit the material.

• Mitch van Biljon says:

Anthony, please reach out to me. I have hundreds of books on political philosophy and have studied John Locke, Algernon Sidney, Bastiat, de Vattel etc. I have also created a number of presentations on natural rights, the false interpretation of the 16th amendment and would be interested in partnering with people to warn the LDS community. It appears to me that many members of the church are ignorant and support confiscation of property in the name of ‘welfare’. We need to truly educate them but most will not read books on political ideology but will read short 40 page powerpoint presentations that can be used in Family Home Evenings. I can be reached on 801 696 9850.

• Mitch van Biljon says:

I would recommend the book ‘The Ominous Parallels’ by Leonard Piekhoff which is a comparative analysis of Nazi Germany and the US. A little more contemporary but as relevant.

2. marginalizedmormon says:

*I* believe that the only thing that the individual can do is determine not to exploit anyone else for gain, because regularly do people die in ‘third world countries’ so that those in ‘first world countries’ can be affluent.

A little hard work and poverty–

It’s not popular, and it certainly doesn’t make you many friends, but earning money off the labor of children (hungry often) and their impoverished parents is exactly what this is talking about. People die so that multi-millionaries can become multi-millionaries. If you wonder what I am talking about–

Good Mormon or Gadianton?

No, I’m not a progressive. I don’t believe in

3. marginalizedmormon says:

forced redistribution of wealth.

But I am tired of hearing the word ‘patriot’ and knowing that many ‘patriots’ think they are loyal to the constitution and God (and the Book of Mormon) while they check their portfolios.

Jesus didn’t have them, and He won’t have them when He returns.

• Mitch van Biljon says:

There is nothing wrong with being rich if such is earned without taking immoral advantage of another. The fact that I am wealthy does not diminish another’s opportunity to be wealthy. It is not a zero sum game and all can become wealthy simply by adding economic value.

What angers me is the progressive ideology or Mormons who find it acceptable to steal from the taxpayer in the name of welfare but who condemn capitalism. Capitalism is NOT the problem, it is pseudo capitalism that is so prevalent in the US. The definition of capitalism is the entering into a transaction where both parties agree to the terms and whereby both benefit. No-one wilfully enters into a contract that derives no benefit to them. If one does then the issue is not capitalism it is stupidity.

4. Brand Thornton says:

I wished that all it would take is for the people to vote for the right candidate, it has gotten to the point that the people must rise up and defend themselves against a tyrannical government. ” consider your awful situation” things are much worse than you have considered. As Mr. Larson said the people don’t care and are incapable of demonstrating any real willingness of taking a stand. There are a few but very few.

5. marginalizedmormon says:

I refuse to vote for either Republican or Democrat and have for years–

but ‘good Mormons’ and ‘patriots’ tell me I am throwing away my vote–

• Andrew T says:

Amen brother/sister. Withdraw your consent! Don’t vote for either wing of the establishment party.

• Mitch van Biljon says:

We are taught to vote for men and women who honor the Constitution. Before we vote we ought to understand that great document and you can only understand it if you understand the men the founders studied (Locke, De Vattel, Sidney etc.). Understanding true political ideology before voting is much the same as understanding before we teach. If there are men and women who do not support the Constitution (both parties controlling structure) then do not vote. Not voting however still is not fulfilling your responsibility. If those seeking election are not the ‘right’ folks then YOU run for office. You cannot use the excuse to not vote as a fulfillment of your duty.

6. Walter Buller says:

You need to understand that the fear among LDS to defend conservative values comes from the top. Daring to speak up at Church about our need to heed the warnings from ETB or David O. McKay and other previous presidents of the Church, or the warnings found in the BoM will get you in trouble with your priesthood leaders quicker than anything else will. I have known of adulterers and child abusers who were not disciplined, while on the other hand I know of several LDS who were disfellowshipped and even excommunicated for teaching of these warnings in their own home. It will probably hurt some of you to know this, but the primary objective of the GA’s today is obviously protecting the tax exempt status of the Church, being acceptable to the powers that be. Very sad.

• I have hear horror stories, but believe that the Lord is a the head of what we are doing, as long as our hearts are pure. I trust in Him, and like Ezra, don’t hold back. Thus far I’ve had no problems either.

• fred says:

I have experienced a bit of opposition from members including Bishops for stating opinions
        based upon prophetic warnings. I continue to do so in a friendly manner not seeking controversy and I have found that because of the way I present my arguments I have usually been supported in my views and been asked for further information.
        My conclusion is that opinions can be expressed in a loving manner to win over an audience .
        So I don’t go out looking for a fight and only express well intentioned opinions when called upon by The Holy Ghost.

• Mitch van Biljon says:

I have giving talks in church saying that members of the church who fail to stand for Constitutional doctrine and who support welfare programs ought to repent. The teachings of the church and contemporary political doctrine are polar opposites. My bishops have never had a problem with this and in fact have stated that my comments are true despite an Obama supporter getting up and leaving these sacrament meetings. One cannot support Obama and be in compliance with church standards and doctrine. If one supports current political trends then you need to repent and repent quickly as you will be held accountable by God for your actions in support of such anti church programs and philosophies.

• fred says:

True enough, and I would ask is any one of us perfect in complying with all of the Church Doctrines? Our General Authorities will generally teach in a way
        that invites the spirit and if condemn they must, will offer a way to repent, rather than inciting
        ill feelings. Dale Carnegie used to say that if you must criticize, first begin with praise.
        I am not disagreeing at all that many will not be chosen because of their unwise political choices, I am only saying that we must be careful with our choice of words and the feelings we express them with.
        Please accept my complete support to you in bringing political subject up at Church. All things
        are spiritual To our Heavenly Father.

• Mitch van Biljon says:

There were no harsh words they were expressed in a loving fashion. If people are offended by truth then maybe their hearts have been pricked. This is my experience when I am guilty of sin and helps me regain my senses.

• Mitch van Biljon says:

I see myself no difference between politics and religion. They both in their true purpose seek to govern lives. One (church) seeks internal management based on true doctrine whilst the other seeks external management of the individual. You therefore cannot avoid speaking about both. One is God’s plan of agency and self government whilst the other is government control i.e. satan’s plan. There is no truer saying that if men were angels there would be no need for government.

• Mitch van Biljon says:

Further stake presidents ought to take far more care as to whom they give recommends to. You cannot support the current trends and be a worthy temple recommend holder.

This church is about agency NOT forced redistribution of wealth. If you believe that the wealthy obtain their wealth immorally then support judicial means to confiscate stolen wealth do not undermine the principles of liberty and republican constitutionalism. I am tired of members who believe that acting in violation of constitutional government is justified to support the confiscation of ill gotten wealth by the ‘wealthy’. There are many wealthy people who have earned this wealth through adherence to moral law and the law of the harvest.

7. Andrew T says:

Kelly, unfortunately, this November, all you’ll be offered is the illusion of choice. The names you see have already carefully been vetted by the establishment to be sure they conform (I think you get this – from your “2-party duopoly” comment). It might be that the most patriotic thing you can do is refuse to support them at all by not voting. At least that way, the “mandate” they say they have from the people will sound more and more shallow as voting percentages decline. The media will talk about “voter apathy”, but you’ll know it’s “voter rejection”. Standing for freedom may be withdrawing your consent from a corrupt regime.

8. Andrew T says:

Oh, really want to start hitting ’em where it counts? It’s all about money. Stop contributing to a 401K. Stop sending the money to wall street. Invest in local businesses, shop with local businesses. That’s one way to make a difference. Yes, you’ll not get the tax break, but it’s another way of withdrawing your consent.

• If there’s not an honest, wise & good man to vote for, I agree with your sentiments and will not vote for anyone. And as you say, it’s not apathy, it’s rejection. Meanwhile I’ll waste and wear out my life working in the Independent American Party. I’m very glad Mormon Chronicle exists and the work of everyone and anyone who pays more than lip service to this most important cause.

• Greg S says:

No honest, wise and good man would ever want to force you to obey him and to rob you for his own gain which is what ALL politicians do.
        Voting is a suckers game and participating in such an immoral activity makes you culpable for the associated resulting crimes.

9. Walter Buller says:

Everyone must stop feeding the beast that is devouring us, especially since their is no law that requires you to. This is what Thomas Jefferson said as our most potent remedy against tyrannical government. I wholeheartedly agree.

• fred says:

Thanks for your post and are you referring to refusal to pay an Income Tax because under the definition of income, you don’t really have any?
      Just curious

• Mitch van Biljon says:

Not true Fred. We should only pay an apportioned tax on earned income. Today we pay a uniform tax on earned income and that is unconstitutional. This is also a breach of the 16th amendment.

We pay a uniform tax on unearned income and that is constitutional and in accordance with the 16th amendment.

• fred says:

Great discussion on The Federal Income Tax. Obviously with such a complex Income Tax Law plus regulations that don’t even follow what the law actually says, which law and regs never once define what income is, there is bound to be confusion . To make a long story short our Sup Ct.in the early 1920’s ruled that the 16th Amendment did not overule a previous decision during the 1890’s which held that a direct tax such as an income taxe was unconstitutional because it was direct and not apportioned in the manner our representatives are.
          Because of this The IRS began administering the tax as an indirect tax
          which is OK if uniform. However, for the tax to be Constitutional it has to tax a privilege not a right (right to work( Taxes on non priviledged
          earnings are void.

• Mitch van Biljon says:

The question is what is the definition of income and as far as individuals go there are two relevant definitions.

Earned income – income directly earned by your efforts which can only be taxed on an apportioned basis.

Unearned income – profit from sale of stock or from running a business which is taxable under the 16th amendment.

The key term is ‘income severed from the source’ is unearned and that which cannot be severed from the source is earned income. People ought to study what severability meant to the founders.

• fred says:

Maybe true but oversimplified. As an example, in searching for a definition of what income could be since it is not defined anywhere in The IRC the term employee
          which is used to bring someone working
          and subjecting him/her to “the tax” is limited to government employees or those
          working through ” a granted privilege. The only conclusion a rational person can make is that those working in the private
          sector earn nothing that is taxable since they have a GOD GIVEN RIGHT to work
          because they were born free. Rights cannot be taxed but privledges can.

• Mitch van Biljon says:

Exactly. That is why we are not required to pay a progressive tax on earned income and ought to pay such on unearned income (conducting business and profits from the stock market). As the founders stated if the income can be severed from the source then that is a indirect and uniform tax. If the income cannot be severed from the source than that must be an apportioned tax.

10. Paul Overall says:

I’ve been very awake for quite a while. I don’t believe much at all in the rigged voting system. Although there may be some chance of voting for some good individuals at the local, and maybe the state level, the federal level is completely hijacked. For one thing, as long as the powers that be control the ponzi fiat currency, there is not much that can be done, other than to attempt to warn others of the impending train wreck. I want to say that I meet more people outside of church that are understanding and aware of the awful situation than those in church. This is a sad state of affairs.

• Thanks for your input, and agreed!

• fred says:

I agree with you 100%. Our political two party system is a big bad joke with almost all of the federal aspirants bribed by special interests to voted for bigger government with more laws and regulations having the effect of swallowing up our personal rights.
      Tyrants now rule and control the whole federal and a good portion of the local systems because men and women involved are greedy
      and almost unaware of what The Glorious Constitution is and what it stands for.

11. beverly williams says:

Until this past election, I haven’t voted repub or demo for a many years. I have been voting for the Constitution Party candidate. The only reason I voted for Romney this past time, instead of the CP, is because I coudn’t stand the idea of having a Communist imposter sitting in the White House. If I had known some of the details of Romney’s gubernatorial history sooner, I would have again voted CP or would have written in Ron Paul.

12. Walter Buller says:

Congrats Bev. We need more people like you who actually take an objective look at prominent LDS instead of just knee jerk supporting them simply because they are Mormon. Absolutely nothing of any consequence would be different today if Mitt had beat the muslim, communist, illegal alien who “won”. It was utterly sickening to me to see hoards of LDS mesmerized by Romney because he was LDS, supporting him for that reason and that reason only, and going around telling people that they had been inspired by the Holy Ghost to know that Mitt was going to win and that this would usher in an unprecedented era of freedom and prosperity in America as well as the second coming of Christ. Then they cried buckets of tears when he lost. What astonishing brainwashing!

13. Greg S says:

All government is based on force and theft which cannot be reconciled with obeying the commandments and in following Jesus Christ.

• Greg S says:

I am a mormon and I believe section 134 also, where it says in verse 5 “We believe that all men are bound to sustain and uphold the respective governments in which they reside, while protected in their inherent and inalienable rights by the laws of such governments” but guess what? Not one government on the planet protects an individuals “inherent and inalienable rights”. Since none do none should be sustained.
      Nobody has any right to rob another person and to force them to obey them which is what all governments are based on.

• Greg S says:

Section 134 is NOT revelation. Just a statement of belief.
        What does God say about the matter?

Acts 5:29 ¶Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

2 Nephi 28:31 Cursed is he that putteth his trust in man, or maketh flesh his arm, or shall hearken unto the precepts of men, save their precepts shall be given by the power of the Holy Ghost.

Mosiah 23:13 And now as ye have been delivered by the power of God out of these bonds; yea, even out of the hands of king Noah and his people, and also from the bonds of iniquity, even so I desire that ye should stand fast in this liberty wherewith ye have been made free, and that ye trust no man to be a king over you.

• Greg S says:

So if you have contradicting ‘scriptures’ what should you do?
          If you obey man(government) you are disobeying God. Why, because ALL government(s) violate most of the commandments, which are binding on ALL people with no exceptions granted, just because some of them form a big gang and call it government. Government is based on forcing you to obey it which if I recall seemed to be the plan of somebody called Satan.

• Greg S says:

ALL government is about forcing you. Remove the force and you no longer have a government. It would be a voluntary organization one could join or leave at will and participate in or not. Government is force, plain and simple.
            Force is Satan’s way not God’s. The powers of the priesthood don’t work by force.
            If you think current governments are creations of God then he would be responsible and culpable for all their thefts, murder, lies, frauds and crimes.
            The ‘government’ of God doesn’t exist on the earth, yet.

• Mitch van Biljon says:

I also recommend the essay ‘Many are Called But Few are Chosen’ by Verlan Andersen. It speaks to agency and freedom. He articulates agency pertaining to government very well.

• Mitch van Biljon says:

Greg, I recommend the book ‘The Majesty of God’s Law’ by Skousen. A brilliant read on the form of government under the Millennial reign of the Savior.

• Mitch van Biljon says:

Since when was D&C not scripture? Did you mean the Article of Faith?

• fred says:

Amen, Brother. Very well stated. The only thing that could be worse would be anarchy. Hence, the cleansing of America as a coming attraction, perhaps very soon.

• fred says:

Amen! :People in this forum are mostly very sharp.

14. Logan says:

I agree being active politically is an important part of maintaining freedom. What I don’t agree with is ignoring history. This country has always been about serving the elite. I also don’t like the us and them mentality that comes with politics. But historically this country was never developed with the common man in mind. It was developed because American merchants were mad at English merchants. The poor always fight the wars for the benefit of the rich.

15. Bob Webster says:

I believe “Visions of Glory” will soon come to pass . . . the SLC quake & the rest of the sequence of latter-day tribulations. Satan’s global countdown is in progress, and the coming US election changes nothing. websterbob801@gmail.com